I am sure most of us are aware of Whatsapp , as it is an unanimous decision by the people to use this app to connect to anyone across the globe.Whatsapp of course was just at the right place and at the right time when the era of smartphones had just begun. Whatsapp doesn't need any introduction, but its just plain mobile messaging using ur internet connectivity on smartphones, but its just hasn't evolved past 2 years since its inception, it hasn't been keeping up with the trends, maybe they believe in being Simple silly.
Well , now we come to crust of the whole Mobile messaging, there are quite a lot of players in this space, but no one has been as successful as whatsapp which really captured the market space in mobile messaging.
But , AS always, sum where out there at the horizon, has been a lone warrior who wants to take over the world some day, and this is What i would introduce Wechat .
Wechat has 200 million users and it was developed by tencent which is third largest internet company in the world after Google and amazon .
I would draw the lines of Wechat and Whatsapp on the lines of Facebook and Orkut Respectively.
Though Orkut had been in the pioneer of social networking and was the emperor during its time, but now a fallen fortress.even though Facebook was comparatively new when orkut existed, though patience and its idea to innovate and engage the users lead to this creation of the great Facebook to what is it today and i wish and hope to see WeChat at the likes of Facebook Some day.
Now, i have been using wechat for quite some time and this is what i ve inferred from my usage.
i would have a SWOT (Strength , Weakness , Opportunities & Threats) analysis for the same.
1) some of the USP of the app are its strength such as PTT(Push to talk feature which lacks in whatsapp) Walkie talkie, Video and audio calling(lacks in whatsapp) ,Group chat with max limit of 40(whatsapp is 30) and location based find friend features like Shake.Privacy and enhanced security features.
2)Broadcast messaging , photo and video sharing , contact info exchange.
3) mini games available too
4)wide range of emoticons and emoji and customizable backgrounds.
5) its a complete mobile social networking site by itself, use it to find out more:)
1) Currently unavailable for blackberry.(coming soon in a couple of weeks)
2) Chinese influence as it been developed by tencent, a Chinese firm.
3) as its a new app, the marketing and public awareness hasn't caught up yet.i am sure, it ll be an app to reckon.
4)Large size of the app might not allow the budget smartphones to use the app without any lag or FC.(a lite version is expected)
5) migrating from Whatsapp to wechat might take time based on the mindset.
1) ever growing base of smartphone users.
2) users expect lot more than just messaging and PTT and audio/video message will enhance the users to communicate through the app rather than the traditional Calling.
The app delivers much more than just mobile messaging, its a fun and addictive app.
3) lots of untapped market and its horizons to expand is enormous.
1) lots of new players in the market.
I would end this review of the app by quoting, "Wechat" is definitely a app to look for and its a must app for any kind of usage, be it social, private etc.It can even we used to transmit vital information and notification to a set of people/students in a college using the group chat and Broadcast messaging.
The features are all there,its upto you to utilize it to the max extent.
Whatever said and done, the best way to review or judge an app is by reviewing self. so do try it out and i bet you wont be disappointed.